By: Dr. Masoud Esfahani
During our younger years, most of us will always have that memory of having wounds after an afternoon play in the park. Scars tell stories. Some of them may remind us of our most embarrassing moment or our most unforgettable get away. When we see scars, it means the wounds are starting to heal. It is the body saying that our wounded skin is repaired.
Scars are skin’s response to damage. It is formed by new collagens that are formed to replace the damaged skin. The new formed tissue will have a different quality than that of its surrounding skin which results to a scar.
Some people are fortunate to be a non-keloid former. Meaning the body produces just enough collagen to treat the wound. Which results to flat and pale scars? However some of us produce more collagen which results to hypertrophic scars. These scars are mostly raised. These 2 kinds of scars are more likely to be with those young and dark-skinned.
Scars that are caused by surgery or acne have sunken and pitted appearance. This is due to the loss of fat and muscles underneath the skin. Stretch marks are also categorized as scars.
Scars cannot be removed completely however, we can manage its appearance by using different kinds of scar management methods that are as follows:
- Vitamin E, cocoa butter cream, and several commercial topical skin care products can be an effective tool in improving your scars and these can be bought over the counter.
- Surgery is only recommended for non-keloid former patients. It may not remove the scar completely but it will make it less noticable.
- Steroid Injection- This is recommended for keloid former patients. This injection will soften the appearance of raised scars.
- Radiotherapy- This is used for people who have severe hypertrophic scarring. This helps to prevent keloid formation.
- Microdermabrasion is an effective, safe, and popular cosmetic procedure that has no down time. It is a kind of mechanical exfoliation that removes all dead cells from the superficial layer of the skin without any discomfort.
- Factora RF –This non-invasive skin rejuvenation and resurfacing addresses the skin problems ranging from photo damage to improving the skin’s deep breakage.
- Microneedling – is a minimally invasive, collagen inducing treatment that aids in the rejuvenation of one’s skin. This form of treatment is highly sought after because it activates one’s own body to produce collagen, and ultimately, reduce the appearance of fine wrinkles, lines, and acne scars.
We have other products and treatment that may address you skin problems. You may avail our free consultation for you to know the treatment and products that fits you best. Contact us now at 647-879- 9181