By: Dr. Masoud Esfahani
It’s almost summer time and most of us especially women are getting ready to flaunt their bikini bodies and get those tan lines rocking. One of the important preparations is getting rid of those hairs in some areas of the body and there are a lot of ways to do it. We can shave, pluck or have it all waxed. These may be a cheap way to remove our hairs but these brought in convenience as well. Like for example, in shaving. The hair grows in just a matter of days plus, it may irritate the skin especially on areas that are sensitive. If you are not satisfied with the above options, you may consider getting a laser hair removal.
Laser hair removal is the most popular cosmetic procedure and the satisfactory rate is high. It uses a highly concentrated light right through the follicles to destroy the hair.
Advantages in Using Laser Hair Removal
- Undamaged Skin – Unlike the common use of razor and waxing, laser doesn’t irritate the skin nor removes the top layer of it. Lasers are specialized in targeting selected areas.
- Time Saver – It doesn’t consume so much of our time. Our upper lip’s hairs can be removed in less than a minute. And those broad areas like our backs and legs can be treated with in an hour. This is possible because of the laser’s capacity to target many hair follicles at the same time.
- Permanent – The aim of laser is to remove hair completely. Most of the clients who undergone such procedure will have a permanent effect after 3-4 sessions.
Things to Do Before the Procedure
- Know Your Doctor – Removing your hair using laser may sound so easy but this is just any other medical procedure that needs thorough practice and experience. For your own safety, do some research about your doctor and check his reliability.
- Limit other modes of hair removal – Laser hair removal targets the hair roots inside the hair follicles and some of the other hair removal procedure such as plucking and waxing removes the hair roots. It is a must that you avoid this mode to avoid alteration of the result.
- Avoid Sun Exposure – It is recommended to avoid sun exposure for the reason that this can alter the effectiveness of the laser procedure and may lead to complications after the treatment. And so, avoid the sun for 6 weeks before and after treatment.
Expect the Following During Hair Removal
- Preparing the area to be treated – The hair will be cut a few millimeters above the skin. This will allow the laser to adjust acording to your hair’s color, thickness, and location.
- Safety first – You and your technician/doctor will use protective gears such as goggles to protect your eyes from the laser. A cold gel or cooling device will be applied to the area to protect your skin. This will also help the laser light to do its job more effective.
- Procedure starts – After preparing the site, your medical provider will give a pulse light tot he are and observe it for several minutes to test for unwanted reactions and to make sure that the settings of the laser are just right for you. After testing and when there is no reaction noted, the procedure may continue.
- Post-procedure – After the procedure, you will be provided with some inflammatory agents such as creams or lotions and an ice pack to ease the discomfort.
- Next Session – You may get another appointment 4-6 weeks after. You may repeat the treatment until you are satisfied with the result.
What to Expect After Post-laser Treatment
- Sunburned like skin – Few days after the procedure you may experience a sunburned like feeling in the treated area. To ease the discomfort, you may apply cold compress or moisturizers. For women, you may wear make up the next day unless you have blisters on the area.
- Hair Is Falling Out – After the next month, the hair will fall out and the area will adjust to the absence of hair. Sunscreen is recommended to prevent the skin discoloration.
- Blisters – This is rare but those with darker skin tones are more likely to have blisters. Other site reactions are as follows:
- scarring(very rare)
Getting ready for summer? Are you ready to go on the road to have that hair-free skin? We offer different laser treatments that will help you achieve that summer read skin. Contact Art of Facial Rejuvenation now for free consultation and inquiries at 647-879-9181.